Monday, December 19, 2011

Lessons From Stephen King - Part 2

Here is some more wisdom from Stephen King on the art of writing:
  • "If you want to be a writer you must do two things above all others: read a lot and write a lot." (i.e. writers hone their skills by both reading well written books and practicing their craft)
  • "...my basic belief about the making of stories is that they pretty much make themselves. The job of the writer is to give them a place to grow (and to transcribe them, of course)."
I was convicted by the first quote, but encouraged by the second. My conviction comes from a fact I already know: I need to read more! Regarding the second quote, I was encouraged because I understand exactly what he means. Stories do make themselves. A further quote by King on the subject comes very close to describing my writing process:
"I often have an idea of what the outcome may be, but I have never demanded of a set of characters that they do things my way. On the contrary, I want them to do things their way. In some instances, the outcome is what I visualized. In most, however, it's something I never expected."
The situation in which I have placed the main character in Spacemouse 9 is he is separated from his home world and those he loves. As my writing progresses, Spacemouse 9 does things his way to rectify the situation (with me along on the ride as a scribe). I have an outcome visualized, but as King says, most likely the final outcome will be something I never expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment